Members Only


Branches & Associated Buildings


The Clan Farquharson was made up of many different branches. The power of the clan came from the ability for all the different families to pool their resources and help one another in times of need and in shows of strength. Each branch was led by a different person who was at least moderately related to the other branches. The branches were designated by the main house that the owner was in, the person themselves were often known by that name. Currently the chief line of Clan Farquharson is held with the Invercauld family. Before it passed to the Invercauld family it was held by the Castleton of Braemar line that lived in Kindrochit Castle. Some of the houses are still standing, others have been substantially changed from their appearance in the time of the Clan, and others have been reduced to rubble.


Currently the Chiefly line of Clan Farquharson
Seat at Invercauld House
Located on the A93 between Braemar and Crathie on the north bank of the river Dee.


Branch of Invercauld (ruins)
Currently extinct
Located off the A93 by Inver
Part of the Invercauld Estate


Seat at Allargue House
Currently extinct
Located on the A939 near Corgaff Castle and the Lecht Skiing


Seat at Balmoral Castle
Currently extinct
Located on the A93 between Ballater and Braemar by Crathie village
Currently Scottish home of the Royal Family


Seat at Breda House
Currently extinct
Located just west of Alford on A980


Seat at Kindrochit Castle (ruins)
Currently extinct
Located on the east bank of the Clunie in Braemar
Former Chiefly line of Clan Farquharson


Seat at Finzean House
Located on the B976 directly south of Kincardine O’Neil


Seat at Haughton House
Currently extinct
Located just north of Alford off Montgarrie Road


Seat at Inverey House (ruins)
Destroyed by troops after the Black Colonel burnt Braemar Castle
Currently extinct
Located on the Linn of Dee Road west of Braemar in the hamlet of Inverey


Seat at Monaltrie house (ruins)
Currently extinct
Located on the A93 just west of Crathie


Seat at Whitehouse
Currently extinct
Located on A944 east of Alford

Associated Castles & Buildings

Balmoral Castle

Home of the Royal family since it was purchased for Queen Victoria by Prince Albert in 1852, having been first leased in 1848. Architect William Smith, City Architect of Aberdeen, was hired and began work on the new building in 1852 while the family lived in the original structure. The foundation stone was laid by Queen Victoria on September 28, 1853. The castle was completed in 1856 and the original structure demolished.

Braemar Castle

Braemar Castle, built in 1628, is an L-shaped tower that was built primarily as a hunting lodge. The 2nd Earl of Mar, John Erskine, built the lodge as a warning to the Farquharsons of Invercauld and Inverey. Following the 1745 Uprising the castle would fall be taken by the British army and turned into a garrison. However, the Black Colonel, John Farquharson, burnt it to the ground rather than let it be used by Government troops. The ruins were occupied by government troops until 1831 when Catherine Farquharson inherited it and turned it into a family home after long negotiations. Today, the castle is the only castle in Scotland in the Public Trust and operated by a local community group.

Finzean Estate

The estate consists of rich woodlands, heather hills and much wildlife. It has been home to Farquharsons for sixteen generations. Today it is managed as a business leaning toward conservation and preservation of a viable community. The estate consists of the original land and house, a farm show, tearoom and holiday cottages today.


Gilmilnscroft is an ancient residence of the Farquhar family. Robert Farquhar was the first proprietor of the family to be laird of Gilmilnscroft in the latter part of the 14th century. In 1407 records show it was then passed on to a relative named Alexander Farquhar. The estate continues to pass down through fifteen generations of Farquhars, with the last recorded transfer being to James Gray Farquhar upon the death of his mother in 1809. Documentation confirms that they owned the property for more than 400 years.

Haughton House

The house was built in 1791 and home to Farquharsons who owned two thirds of the parish of Alford. The Farquharsons purchased the house in the late 17th century when it was an L-shaped cottage by the River Don. The family added a main has that was completed in 1854. The house was sold in 1925 and was used for many purposes including a hotel, convent and a Catholic school for boys. It lay empty for several years after that before being purchased by the Aberdeenshire County Council, who would turn it into a caravan and camping site. The holiday park was operated until 2012 when it was sold to private proprietors.

Invercauld Estate

Invercauld lies south and east of Braemar. In 1539 Finlay Mor Farquharson was registed as sole tenant of Invercauld. In the 18th century the Farquharsons were eventually able to purchase their possession rights to the land from the Crown. During the 19th century work was done to construct and improve residential buildings. Work on Invercauld Castle was influenced in the Victorian style with influences seen from the newly built Balmoral Castle. Today the estate is run as a modern business owned by Family Trusts under the guidance of our current Chief, Philip Farquharson.

Kindrochit Castle

Kindrochit Castle is the ruins of a 14th century fortification in the town of Braemar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It is on the banks of the Clunie Water, which runs into the River Dee. It was a hunting seat for King Robert II. Robert III granted permission to Malcolm Drummond to build a new tower here in 1390. Being in Braemar, it is seated in land owned by the Farquharsons.

Monaltrie House

Francis Farquharson became Laird of Monaltrie in 1745. The estate is described as in the County of Aberdeen and parish of Crathie. It consisted of the Barony of Monaltry and substantial land around Ballater, below to the north and the south of the Dee. The property was forfeited following the Jacobite Uprising of 1745. In 1775 Francis Farquharson petitioned the holders of the forfeited properties and obtained a 41 year lease for his former estate. Nine years later, he resumed full ownership when an Act was passed allowing former owners to regain it for a sum of money.

Mounie Castle

Mounie Castle is a small, early 16th century castle near OldMeldrum. The lands were first owned by Alexander Seton, 4th Laird of Meldrum and passed jointly to his sons William and Alexander during his lifetime. The lands passed entirely to William’s second son John in 1556. John enlarged the main house. Upon John’s death the house would pass through multiple hands before being sold to Robert Farquhar in 1636. Robert’s heirs would lose the lands to bankruptcy in 1702.

Tolquhon Castle

This was the residence for the Lords of Tolquhon for over 500 years. The current building was built from 1584 to 1590 by the 7th Lord of Tolquhon, William Forbes. It was built for living rather than defense. William inherited the home from his father who died at the Battle of Pinkie in 1547. Upon William’s death in 1596, his son, also William, inherited the castle. The castle was owned by Farquharsons for a short time in the 18th century following the Jacobite Uprising of 1715. Today, the castle is ruins owned and operated by Historic Environment Scotland.